Saudi Arabia is host to 7 million migrant workers who do clerical and service related jobs. Many of them are held against their will through obscure laws. These dubious measures that allow the employers to hold their expat employees in a state of semi-slavery. Passports are confiscated and unless they obtain permission of their employers, the migrant workers are unable to leave the country.
Domestic help comprising of women are often exploited and sexually abused. The Covid pandemic with travel restrictions has made the situation worse.
- Concrete labor reforms that will make it safe for migrant workers.
- Dropping all frivolous laws that allow employers to exploit migrant workers.
- Severe enforceable penalties against erring employers.
- Freedom of quitting employment and returning home.
- Freedom to leave employment in cases of abuse.
- Concrete measures to ensure the abuse of expat domestic help is stopped and those involved punished to the fullest extent of the law.